Monday, July 27, 2009

I have a really hard time changing ANYTHING I do. It seems recycling has always been something I have done, although that could not be possible growing up in the 70's & 80's. It was always disgusting to me that people would throw trash on the ground but the thought that reducing the amount of trash and possibly even reusing some of the things we use was just not there for me. I do recall thinking how cool it would be to collect aluminum cans to take to this "magical "place to get money for them would be never wondering WHY they are taken there!

Now my whole family recycles! My kids bring bottles home from school! I love finding ways to reuse items that normally would go to Goodwill. That is why I love the website Whip Up! http://whipup.net I have it on my home page because she has 5+ new crafty things to do everyday and many of them are recycled and upcycled items! I just love finding new websites to ponder and drool over! Cute Little Disaster http://cutelittledisaster.blogspot.com is a great blog too!!

What started me thinking was an article I read about Triclosan from antibacterial soaps and such entering the water and being found in dolphins. http://www.care2.com/greenliving/triclosan-found-in-dolphins-2.html I was thinking about all of those silly emails I get about how we survived in the 70's without seatbelts, antibacterial soap, carseats etc. That is a little extreeme but knowing about the harmful chemicals that still enter the water is something important to think about. I work at a preschool and we squirt antibacterial hand cleanser like life depended on it! BUT, all of the kids and teachers (ME) still get sick. So, how do you get parents and teachers to stop doing something that was developed out of a fear of sickness when they will still have a fear if they don't use the product? Does that make sense?

We are so used to doing whatever is easiest that it really seems that trying something new is never going to happen! If we can start small and suggest other options to friends and family then one day we can make BIG changes!!! I also think if stores would stop handing out plastic bags for groceries and "give" reusable bags there would be another BIG change! Change consumers options and give them new ones. Just a thought.

Those are my ramblings for now... :)

No comments: